Wednesday 31 August 2011

Gingerbread Men


With the children still being off school, I am rapidly running out of ideas to keep myself sane. Well, today we made gingerbread men. I love making these as they remind me so much of when my boys were really small. They both loved 'ginger men' and can still polish a tin full off in record time. the recipe I use is so simple but for me it produces the perfect taste and texture. If you like yours a bit chewier just add a bit more syrup.

350g / 12oz plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon of ground ginger
100g / 4oz butter or hard (block) marg
175g / 6oz light soft brown sugar
1 medium egg
4 tablespoons of golden syrup

Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4

1) Put the flour, ground ginger and bicarbonate of soda in a mixing bowl.
2) Rub in the butter.
3) Add sugar, syrup and egg and mix until it forms a firm dough.
4) Roll out to about 5mm thick.
5) Cut into desired shapes.
6) Bake for 10 to 15 Minutes.
7) Leave to cool on a wire rack.
8) When cool, decorate as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment